PRIMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The Associate Director, HR is responsible for partnering with employees and managers to provide support for the Company's people strategies. This individual will also run or participate in projects that impact all employees. As an HR professional, you will consult and partner with; advise, coach, negotiate, influence, innovate and challenge leaders, managers and individual contributors on people-related issues; work in partnership with functional leaders to design, develop and drive HR initiatives that meet strategies and scientific goals, improve the effectiveness of the organization in partnership with the management team; and provide recommendations and outcomes that will enhance management capability and organizational performance.
MAJOR DUTIES OF POSITION:
- Provide ongoing HR Business Partner support to drive the implementation of all HR aspects of the growing organization
- Support functional leaders in all HR-related aspects
- Collaborate with line leadership and recruiters to implement and sustain a recruiting strategy and process for the growing organization
- Provide oversight to the Staffing Team with strategic decisions and interface with Hiring Managers and Candidates as needed
- Implement the array of HR Processes with clients, balancing their specific needs with the efficiency and scale necessary across the organization
- Coach and consult line managers in all issues regarding HR and people management
- Provide advice and counsel to managers regarding HR practices, policy, and employment law
- Provide support to employees including assistance with confidential problems and issues
- Interpret feedback and provide an informed and independent perspective on organizational strengths and weaknesses given its scientific and commercial ambitions and competitive environment.
- Consult with key organizational stakeholders to identify and diagnose organizational problems and design and help implement innovative and sustainable solutions
- Design, develop, improve, support and monitor organization-wide processes and programs aimed at building organizational capability
- Consult with HR VP and Executive team to identify strategies that support the desired organizational culture across the organization while also connecting to specific needs of individual functional areas
- Identify opportunities and help shape strategies and plans to address gaps
- Stay current on trends in the Human Resources field to ensure solutions are progressive and relevant
- Perform other duties as necessary as assigned by management.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
- 8+ years of HR experience, with 5 in a specific area of expertise, e.g., Talent/Organization Development, Total Rewards or Recruiting
- Preferred – experience in a start-up environment and within the Life Sciences industry
- Sound business acumen
- Proven ability to work with diverse organizational and social cultures
- Strong facilitation skills
- Effective interpersonal skills to collaborate effectively and build strong relationships
- Demonstrated competence to assess priorities and successfully manage multiple projects while meeting time-sensitive and demanding deliverables
- Proven ability to work in high pressure, highly visible situations
- Experience leading direct reports and project teams
- Bachelor’s degree; Master’s degree in relevant field preferred
- Solid understanding of Human Resources principles, policies and practices
- Understanding of Federal, California, other state and local legal considerations related to Human Resources administration.
- Ability to learn new functions and concepts quickly; self-starter
- Ability to prioritize and multitask
- Ability to work and communicate with employees at many levels across diverse cultures
- Excellent judgment in handling confidential, sensitive information
- Excellent overall communication, writing and organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal skills working in a team environment.
Experience with HRIS, Microsoft Suite tools (including Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, Access and Excel), Applicant Tracking Systems and talent management/performance management application