Our client, a New York City based agency is looking to hire a Chief Marketing Officer. This role reports to the CEO. The agengy is engaged in a movement to create the most socially active generation in history.
They fight for their members every single day. They care deeply about activating their 5.5 million members around the world to make impact in their communities.
They believe in young people. They believe all young people have the agency to create social change and they provide them with the guidance to make it happen.
They don’t hire just anybody. They work hella hard, they move super-fast, and they are a bunch of weirdos. They want people who get excited to come to work at their dynamic office every day.
They genuinely stand behind who they are and what they do. No faking it. Everyone on the staff has their own “why” for coming to work every day. What will yours be?
They have the stability of a 24-year-old organization, but they look, feel, and operate like a tech-forward startup. They are looking for someone to lead the charge on the agency’s marketing and brand strategy as part of the senior leadership team. As CMO, all media (across donated, owned, and earned) will report to you.
They are looking for someone who can juggle both big picture ideation (think: how can they hit 10 million members by 2020?) and practical implementation (let’s hit next month’s super ambitious sponsor goals). You bring in fresh knowledge, new expertise, stellar relationships, and lead the marketing and creative teams like a boss.
Most importantly, you get the job done. You’re nothing short of a complete badass.
- Managing a team. The marketing and creative teams at the agency are composed of incredible people doing disparate work from talent to graphic design to social media to comms to marketing partnerships (phew!). You are responsible for super-charging this team and ensuring that each person has what they need to crush their goals and keep the agency best-in-class.
- Ensuring Staff Pick Campaign Success. Every month, the agency launches 2-3 Staff Pick campaigns, large-scale activation initiatives, most of which are sponsored by marquee brands. Your team is responsible for the full 360-degree marketing of these campaigns: everything from social media, PR, and messaging to video creation and marketing partnerships. You will be keeping the sponsors psyched about working with the agency while activating 100,000s of young people to take action with each campaign.
- Building the Brand. You own the agency’s most important asset. You’ll be working with the Editor in Chief and Creative Director (both on your team) to elevate how and where the agency shows up in the marketplace. Who should they be best friends with? What festivals should they attend? How do they boost their Net Promoter Score? Should they have their own podcast? Do they want their members to view them as their cool uncle? Their camp counselor? Or their badass, edgy older sister? Using a balance of intuition, marketing expertise, and member data, you get to help the agency solidify these brand necessities.
- Growth. The agency has massive aspirations and they need your help to get there. They are already so proud of their 5.5 million members who take action with them every year, and yet they know that the agency has the potential to be even bigger, more important, and more impactful every day.
- Management. You have experience leading a team. You’re a strong manager and you’re pumped to bring that expertise to the agency to make the organization and the talent event stronger.
- Brand. You have a passion for building strong brands (and have done it before!) and are pumped to use your storytelling skills to build a strong community.
- Communications. Yes, you know the press release is dead and you’re excited about what that means for the power of real stories, social media, SMS, and everything in between to tell the story of the agency to the current members, future members, and “old people” friends.
- You’re everyone’s BFF. Walking into a room and meeting new people is your thing; your passion is infectious. You’ve built meaningful relationships in the media, celebrity, influencer, licensing/consumer products and creative spaces throughout your career.
- Creative and solution oriented. You won’t take no without trying 6 other ways to get a yes. You think creatively about solutions (across partnerships, organizational pain points, etc). You get sh*t done.
- You know (and love) youth pop culture. You follow pop culture (guilt free) and the teen trends of the moment. Read: you may or may not have danced to “Shape of You” by Ed Sheeran at some point in the last year.
- Growth marketing. You love product marketing and know that both product and content are critical to the future of the agency’s success as a top brand for teens and 20-somethings. You believe in the power of tech + marketing and want to be at the forefront of the limitless possibilities when merging the two.
- You’re hella passionate about what the agency does (duh). You believe in young people and you’re obsessed with getting young people across the globe to take action on important social issues.
- 3 weeks vacation plus the week between Christmas and New Year’s (and Summer Fridays from Memorial Day to Labor day -- office closes at 1:30), fun office environment, a spot on the summer kickball team, occasional brownie bake-offs. Plus, you don’t have to come to work on your birthday.
- 100% medical premiums covered. Yep, you read that right.
- Five (or 6?) different ways to make coffee. They also have tea, if that’s more your thing.
- The agency is an equal opportunity employer (Although they do reserve the right to discriminate against people who wear white socks with dark shoes...)